You can get the latest version of PWGen and all associated files from the project page at SourceForge:
- PWGen binaries and source code
- Additional languages: Extract the .lng file from the .zip file into the PWGen directory and (re-)start PWGen.
- PWGen Translation Utility: This small application assists you in translating PWGen into other languages. It can also be used to update existing translations.
- Word lists: Find additional word lists in different languages for generating passphrases.
- Trigram files: Find additional trigram files for generating phonetic (pronounceable) passwords.
- User manual [PDF, 341 KB]
Every PWGen release comes in two packages: The portable version (PWGen-xxx.zip) can be run on any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows system without installation. Basically, you just need the PWGen executable (PWGen.exe) to run the application. When PWGen is started for the first time, it will load its default options and create a configuration (.ini) file in the folder where it is located. Under certain circumstances, you may have to prevent PWGen from writing to the device where it is being executed (e.g., hard disk or USB flash drive). In these cases, you can use the command line switch -readonly to prevent any automatic writing to the data storage device.
The setup version (PWGen-xxx-Setup.exe) installs PWGen on Windows systems. It simply does the stuff that setup programs usually do—copy files to the hard disk, create an entry for the application in the start menu, create a desktop symbol, and so on. The essential difference to the portable version is the location of the configuration file: In contrast to the portable version, it is not located in the PWGen directory, but in the so-called %APPDATA% path, since the Program Files folder is write-protected if the executing user does not have administrator rights. All files in the %APPDATA% folder will be deleted when PWGen is uninstalled.
To install new languages, extract the .lng file from the language package into the folder where PWGen is located (e.g., C:\Program Files\PWGen).
PWGen is free software and is distributed under the GNU GPL. You are encouraged to have a look at the source code of the application.
PWGen is written in the C++ programming language with Borland C++ Builder 6. The source code package contains instructions for compiling and building the PWGen executable.